Mars Hill College
- All library patron records are protected by law and are strictly confidential. To view North Carolina
law click here.
- A current library card must be presented for any circulation transaction. Library materials must be
checked out before they are removed from the building.
- Renewing a book is an option if you need it beyond its due date. A book may be renewed IF IT IS NOT OVERDUE -
online, via phone, or in the library . To renew online, log into your account
by clicking here. Enter your name
i.e.., John Smith, and your student ID number.
(STUDENTS - do not include the S when typing in your student ID) Once your
name and links to your account appear, click the link displaying the number of "items currently checked
out." At this point you may "Renew All" or "Renew Selected Items." To renew via phone, call
689-1244 and have your barcode ready. If your item has become overdue you may only renew it by
bringing it into the library for renewal. You can renew materials twice.
- Holds may be placed on an item that is currently checked out to another patron. When the item is
returned, the patron will be notified that the book has returned and can be picked up. Once the
patron has been notified, the book will be held for 7 days at the Circulation desk.
- You may return items at the circulation desk or the book drop next to the front entrance of the
library. The book drop is open when the library is closed.
- Library materials should be returned before becoming overdue to ensure that all library patrons
have access to information. In an effort to encourage library usage, Renfro Library does not charge
overdue fines. However, if a library patron has overdue material on their account no new material
will be checked out until the patron’s record is clear. Reminder notices will be sent to all patrons
with overdue materials.
- Books that are 3 weeks overdue are assumed lost and a bill is automatically generated. At this point,
the patron will be billed for the replacement cost of the item(s), which includes a $10 non-refundable
per item billing fee. The replacement cost will be decided by market value. If the lost item is not in
print, a fair replacement cost will be decided by the Library Director.
- It is encouraged that patrons pay the lost book fee at the library. Bills are sent to the Business
Office at the end of each semester. If the bill has been forwarded to the Business Office, the patron
must pay there. Should the patron find the book before the bill is forwarded to the Business Office,
the $10 processing fee may be waived. If the book is returned after the bill has been sent to the
Business Office, the Public Services Supervisor must be notified immediately so that a credit can be
sent to the Business Office, minus the processing fee.
- Refunds will be decided on a case-by-case basis by the Library Director should the patron return the
lost item. Patrons may not purchase a replacement book on their own.
- If an item is returned and noticeably damaged, there will be a cost for repair or replacement. The
cost will vary depending on the severity of the damage. Cost for minor damage will be a $10 processing
fee, and severe damage will be the replacement cost of the item.
- Renfro library produces overdue notices several times a week. Library patrons will receive notices
through their college email account. Notices are a courtesy and failure to receive one does not
excuse penalties associated with library materials.