- The library catalog provides information on all BOOKS in Renfro Library as well as links to all EBOOKS available through our various online collections.
- The catalog also includes MUSIC SCORES, MUSIC RECORDINGS available in the library or online via NAXOS, and A/V MATERIALS housed in the media center.
- IT DOES NOT INCLUDE MAGAZINES, JOURNALS OR WEBSITES. To check on the availability of a magazine or journal use the "Journal Locator" search at the top right corner of the screen. To search for articles or websites on specific topics, select "Find Articles" or "Find Websites" from the menu on the left of the screen.
to search the catalog by title
- Select TITLE from the drop-down menu next to the search box and enter all or part of the title in quotation marks.
Example: “catcher in the rye”
- Select the correct title from the displayed list to see all entries for that title.
to search by author
- Select AUTHOR from the drop-down menu next to the search box and enter the author’s last name, a comma and then all or part of the first name.
Example: faulkner, w
- Select the correct name from the list to see all entries for that author.
to search the catalog by topic, you can search by word or by subject
- WORD searches look for any word you enter in any part of a catalog entry. If you search this way, it is important to think of all possible words for the topic. General or frequently used words often bring up many entries that are not really on topic. To focus your topical search, do a SUBJECT search using Library of Congress Subject Headings
to combine various elements
- (author, title, etc.) or terms in a search, click on the “Advance Search” button on the catalog homepage. You can combine elements or search terms using AND or OR. Use AND to connect search terms or phrases when you want to find entries that contain all of those terms. Use OR to list terms or phrases when you want to find entries that contain any one of the terms listed.
to locate books in the library
- Check to see if the status of the book is AVAILABLE, then write down the LOCATION and CALL #. Find the collection listed under Location and then look for the book by Dewey Decimal call number.
to view the contents of an ebook
- Click on the link below the location and call number. You may have to click a second time on a link that says “View this eBook.” Once the book is opened, you can use the table of contents (usually at the left of the screen) or do a search within the book to identify information on your specific topic.
IF YOU NEED HELP, ASK AT THE RESEARCH ASSISTANCE DESK!